If you have an old slab of concrete that you want to renew, you might wonder if it’s possible to simply pour new Houston ready mix concrete over the old concrete. This is certainly possible, though there are several things you need to know. We’ll explore this type of project in this blog, so read on for more details!
Can You Pour Houston Ready Mix Concrete Over an Existing Concrete Slab?
Ready mix concrete is a type of concrete that is custom formulated for your project and delivered to your site in Houston cement mixing trucks. This makes it a great option for practically any project because ready mix concrete is completely customized to your project.
It is absolutely possible to pour Houston ready mix concrete over old concrete slabs. There are many reasons you might want to do this. For instance, to restore old concrete that looks stained or worn. Additionally, if you want to give an old patio a quick aesthetic upgrade, you might want to pour new concrete and stamp it with a design. In some cases, it may be that you need a thicker slab than originally poured, which might also have you considering pouring new concrete over old concrete surfaces.
Pros & Cons of Pouring New Concrete Over Old Concrete
Of course, it’s important to consider the potential pros and cons of pouring new concrete on top of an existing concrete slab.
Some of the advantages include:
- Saves time
- Saves money
- The concrete will look newer
- You can stamp, color, or otherwise decorate the new concrete layer
Some of the disadvantages include:
- Shorter lifespan compared to a new concrete slab
- Any major cracks or issues with the subbase will transfer to the new concrete layer
- There are special steps you need to take to pour new Houston ready mix concrete on top of old concrete
Important Steps to Take
Pouring concrete on an existing slab takes a few steps to ensure the slab is strong and fits your needs. Here are the steps to take:
- Clean the concrete thoroughly
- Create concrete forms
- Apply a bonding layer with bonding agents like epoxy, acrylic, or polyvinyl acetate (PVA)
- Install reinforcement mesh over the old concrete (may be optional for thinner slabs)
- Pour the new concrete into the forms
- Allow to fully harden before using
It’s important to note that you also want to create a layer at least two inches thick of the new concrete on top of the old concrete. Otherwise, it may be too weak and may be more prone to cracking and damage. Your Houston concrete supply can help you determine how much concrete you will need and the right formula to use for your project.
TEXAN Concrete Ready Mix – Your Trusted Source for Quality Houston Ready Mix Concrete
Our team at TEXAN Concrete Ready Mix is here to help you with all your commercial and residential concrete needs. We are a top ready mix contractor offering years of experience to help you create the perfect concrete formula for your project. We use sophisticated technology to ensure you receive the right concrete exactly when you need it for your project. Contact us now to get a free quote for ready mix concrete.