When it comes to constructing buildings and other structures, concrete plays an essential role. If you’re looking for a reliable Houston concrete contractor to supply quality concrete for your project, industry standards can help ensure you get the best of both quality and value from your project.
In this blog post, we’ll discuss some of the most important standards for concrete supply industries so that you can make more informed decisions when choosing a provider. For more information or to get a quote for your commercial concrete needs, contact our experienced team at TEXAN Concrete Ready Mix today.
Concrete Quality Can Vary Widely Based on Its Specific Mixture
Concrete is the backbone of construction, and its strength and quality depend upon the composition of its various components. Chemical admixtures, cement, and aggregates are carefully blended to create the ideal mixture for each construction project. Once mixed with water, this blend becomes the durable substance that has made possible the towering skyscrapers and sturdy bridges that dominate modern architecture.
With so many variables in the composition of concrete, standards are essential for quality control. Even small variations in the composition of concrete can have significant impacts on its durability and strength. Without adequate checks and balances in place, you could inadvertently use an inferior concrete supply for your Houston commercial projects, resulting in costly repairs, safety hazards, and damage to your company’s reputation.
ASTM Concrete Standards Set Criteria for Quality Concrete Supply
American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) cement and concrete standards set the expectations and requirements for our industry. These standards are essential in the testing and evaluation of concrete, cement, and aggregates. They are in place to ensure that these materials meet the necessary requirements for a variety of applications.
From construction projects to infrastructure developments, the ability to test the strength and safety of concrete mixtures is crucial. Thanks to the ASTM standards, laboratories all over the world have a universal benchmark to measure against, providing accurate and reliable results.
These standards help to identify the various properties of concrete including:
- Strength: This attribute of concrete defines its ability to resist applied loads without breaking or cracking. The strength of concrete is largely determined by the ratio of water to cement in the mix, with less water typically resulting in stronger concrete.
- Elasticity: This refers to the ability of concrete to deform and then return to its original shape once a load is removed. A higher modulus of elasticity indicates a stiffer concrete mix. The elastic properties of concrete are primarily determined by the stiffness of the aggregate and the cement matrix.
- Hardness: Hardness is the measure of concrete’s resistance to scratching, abrasion, or indentation. A harder concrete surface is more resistant to wear and tear, making it suitable for flooring and pavement applications.
- Workability: This attribute refers to how easy it is to mix, place, compact, and finish the concrete. Workability is crucial as it affects the concrete’s strength, durability, and appearance. Factors affecting workability include water content, aggregate size and shape, and the use of admixtures.
Work with a Houston Concrete Supply Contractor That Adheres to All Applicable Standards
At the heart of any successful construction project is the quality of the materials used, and that’s particularly true of ready mix concrete. If you’re in need of a reliable Houston ready-mix concrete supply contractor, look for one that fully adheres to relevant ASTM standards.
Applicable standards include:
- C685/C685M-17 Standard Specification for Concrete Made by Volumetric Batching and Continuous Mixing
- C1798/C1798M-19 Standard Specification for Returned Fresh Concrete for Use in a New Batch of Ready-Mixed Concrete
- C1602/C1602M-22 Standard Specification for Mixing Water Used in the Production of Hydraulic Cement Concrete
- C1603-23 Standard Test Method for Measurement of Solids in Water
- C94/C94M-23 Standard Specification for Ready-Mixed Concrete
Whether you’re building a new commercial high-rise or working on a smaller building project, don’t skimp on the quality of your ready-mix concrete supply. Work with a Houston contractor who takes industry standards seriously.
Partner with a Reliable Houston Contractor for Quality Concrete Supply
With TEXAN Concrete Ready Mix, you can rest assured that your commercial project has a reliable and experienced ready-mix contractor to supply concrete. We offer top-notch quality control and competitive pricing with flexible delivery times and easy ordering systems.
No matter the size of the Houston commercial project, we can provide all of your concrete needs with confidence and professionalism. We strive to be the best in the business and ensure that our customer satisfaction is second to none. Contact us for a quote today!